(2 October 2001, Kansas) A 31-year-old bow hunter defied tradition by getting himself killed, not with a stray arrow, but with electricity instead. The accomplished bowman had placed his hunting stand on what he thought was an abandoned utility pole, but when he touched the two live wires, he discovered his mistake.
Brent's body was discovered four days later. His two faithful Labrador retrievers were still waiting near his truck.
Friends were surprised by the accident. "Brent was always just such a cautious and safe guy. Whatever took place that day, I'm sure he studied it and somehow came to the conclusion that those lines had to be dead."
Power poles are private property, and climbing them is considered trespassing.
It was an error that cost him his life.
(29 September 2001, Pennsylvania) In a similar mishap, another bow hunter set up a hunting blind on a utility pole in the trees. When he climbed onto the perch, he touched two electrified wires and was knocked to the ground by the power surge. The lucky hunter survived.
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2017
Submitted by: J.R. Absher, Doug Prater, Nathan Murra
Reference: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, TheDenverChannel.com. The Associated Press, Wichita Eagle