A biting story from Scotland.
(Scotland) A hiker in Scotland picked up a harmless grass snake so his
brother could take a picture. Just as he reached for it, a black adder
slithered into view, so he grabbed that one, too. The adder is Britain's
only venomous snake. Both serpents sank their fangs into the 44-year-old,
who responded with serious anaphylactic shock. He gradually and painfully
recovered in the hospital. His excuse for his rash act? He didn't
think venomous snakes inhabited Scotland.
Leah writes, "Adders are the only
venomous snakes in the wild in Britain. Black adders are melanistic
adders, not a species in their own right. Adders are normally greenish,
with a black diamond pattern along their backs." An image of both
adders coiled together.
"This happened on Arran. I've
known since I was a kid that there were poisonous snakes on Arran."
DarwinAwards.com © 1994 - 2017
Reference: The Scotsman.